Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Cheeky Little Tips Pt 1

While i'm sitting around, waiting for Danny to bring me in some photo's of the Carp Conference i thought i might as well take the time to put a little tip or two together so here's one . . . . .

Going back to summer a few years ago, after getting my first half decent digital camera - it struck me that as i was sat there enjoying the sun, i'd realised like a lightbulb pinging over my head, the most obvious downfall of a digital camera.

After being used to years and years of carrying around an SLR camera (single lens reflex-35mm) i'd also got used to having my array of filters with me for these exact conditions - sunny no cloud, very bright - to take the 'glare' off the water for better clarity, and it also takes the 'shine' off the sky so for example, so the clouds appear very defined.

Gawping through the digital camera lens, the scene looked exactly as i expected it to be, way too bright !

In a flash of inspiration, the sunglasses came off my head and i held it over the lens of the camera, Bingo ! Sussed ! All became clear, no reflection on the water and clear skies just like that ! No great big bag of lenses, and as the sunglasses are always in my rucksack, no worries about forgetting them.

I rattled off a few shots and they came out just as well as if i had my SLR and a bag of effects lenses. I also figured out how to do a self portrait in the same mode by tying the glasses to the camera with the lanyard !

The pic below is from last summer on the Ribble and i think the clarity of the picture speaks for itself . . . . . . . So there ya go . . . . how to cheapskate around camera filters !